At-Home Workout Roundup
With WA state and much of the country (and, indeed, the world) adhering to stay-at-home orders due to Covid-19, many of us are finding our workout routines thrown off-kilter.
Tthis blog post rounds up our favorite options for at-home workouts that will help keep you motivated, on track, and maintaining a sense of joy in movement.
Many personal fitness trainers are continuing to host their group or one-on-one sessions. They’ve largely moved to virtual platforms, such as Zoom or FaceTime. The trainer will create workouts for you based on the equipment (or lack thereof) you already have. There are a number of options they might have:
- Do live virtual sessions, in which the trainer watches you work out and corrects your form in real-time.
- Get weekly workouts from your trainer via email, do the workouts on your own, and have weekly live check-ins to discuss how the workouts went.
If you already have a trainer, ask him or her whether they’d be willing to continue sessions with you at home!
There are myriad apps that guide you through workouts at home or outdoors. Here is a snapshot of the ones we love most. Bonus: some of them are FREE!
- CorePower Yoga – this is a chain yoga studio across the country that also has on-demand classes. They’re providing a selection of their classes FREE without any obligation. The class types range from high-energy power yoga to low-impact restorative yin yoga and everything in between.
- Peloton – many people don’t know that even if you don’t own a Peloton bike or treadmill, this app is incredible for at-home workouts. It has yoga, outdoor guided workouts, strength training workouts, bootcamp-type workouts, HIIT training, and more. You can stream some classes live, and others on demand. There are also challenges you can sign up for to keep you motivated. Bonus – it’s FREE for 90 days (!!)
- BeachBody – this app includes a mix of HIIT, barre, boxing, strength-training, and other types of workouts. It’s also got a free trial (currently 14 days).
- DailyBurn – 30 day free trial for this app, which includes thousands of bodyweight, strength training, and other types of workouts for all levels. Bonus: you can also track your workout history, food intake and more in the app!
- C25K Trainer – this is the famous “Couch to 5K” program, which helps people who’ve never run before get ready for a 5K race (or the equivalent). It’s completely guided and for complete beginners! It’s also 100% free.
- Map My Run – for those of you who enjoy running or who would like to build a consistent habit, this app helps you track runs and view your progress. You can also participate in challenges with other runners. The app is also completely free!
Yoga - for streaming yoga classes around the country. Free 30 Day trial, then a monthly subscription.
- Les Mills - Over 800 workoks taught in 21,000 gyms around the world. Free trial, then monthly membership.
- Yoga with Adriene – one of YouTube’s most popular yoga teachers. She has dozens of classes to choose from.
- SweatFactor – this is led by celebrity trainer Mike Donavik. Some of his videos require dumbbells, but all will get you results!
- Tone It Up – you may have seen Karina and Katrina’s ads all over social media – they’re the super high energy duo that have created almost cult-like TIU followers. This is their free YouTube channel with TIU workouts, though there are also options to purchase their full paid program if you like.
- Leslie Sansone’s Walk At Home – you don’t even need to leave the house to get in a walking workout (but you can!) The famous Leslie Sansone’s YouTube channel is here.
- Blogilates – this is a great channel with pilates, bootcamp sculpting and other similar workouts. I love these videos because some are whole-body, but others target specific areas of the body!
- POPSUGAR Fitness – dozens of 30-minute workouts to choose from, largely with no equipment needed.
In addition, many yoga studios and fitness studios (like Orange Theory at home) are offering streaming and recorded home adapted exercise plans taught by their instructors. You can even link your heart rate monitor to the Orange Theory app and earn “Splat Points”!
Sarah Eno is passionate about supporting healthy lifestyle and mindset change. She graduated with a degree in Functional Nutrition in 2016. She has supported hundreds of individuals to a health-promoting lifestyle and believes that everyone has the opportunity to experience health. Sarah is a wife and mom of 3 boys. She loves cross-country skiing, yoga, her Peloton, and does fashion runway part-time.